Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ahhh, The Grocery Store...

"20 Most Annoying Things at the Grocery Store"

Here's another interesting article from WalletPop. 20 things that piss you the fuck off at the grocery store.

While reading this, I was brought back to the days of my old neighborhood here in Hartford, CT. Actually, since I just moved it would have been within the last month but who's counting...Anyway, all of the irritating habits and situations listed here could be found ALL THE TIME in ANY AISLE! Being that the nearest grocery store was basically near one of the worst parts of town (think about that old man who was run over and left in the street while people walked by), you get to experience some of the worst attitudes and manners outside of NYC and Jersey.

I would have to agree with #5 "express lane abuse". But what kills me even more is when this occurs and the cashier doesn't say shit to the offender. A simple "I'm sorry, this is the express lane", would suffice. But, alas, they usually do nothing. I was in line once in said grocery store and the person brought 2 shopping carts into the express lane. Yes, 2! I was totally ripped as it was and when the cashier just rolled her eyes, took a deep breath and started to scan their items - I lost it. I simply asked the person if they were aware of the 10 items or less sign right in front of them and the response was, "Yo no hablo inglés." After hearing that I figured it was probably not a battle that I was going to win so I ate crow and waited my turn.

One thing that I did not see on the list and seems to be running rampant is "People who don't know how to use the electronic/payment pad". I don't know what world these people have been living in for the past 10 years, but everywhere you go these days payment pads abound. Do you buy liquor? Payment pad. Do you rent movies? Payment pad. Do you buy clothes at Wal-Mart? Payment pad. You have to have used one or two somewhere sometime prior to coming into the grocery store today. Some people even act like they don't even know how to swipe the damn card through the machine. Even though there is a picture and arrow showing you which side to swipe and what direction, it obviously is too much for some people to handle. Then of course the simple act of remembering their PIN number can be a test of wills and patience. God forbid if they need some cash back...

The crying kids are annoying yes, but what's worse is the mother of said kid going all ghetto on the child. Here at previously mentioned grocery store, not only will the parents scream back at their kids but they will also string a nice clustering of obscenities into the tirade. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "shut da fuck up" or "I gon kick yo fucking azz" drifting on the air over the shelves from the next aisle. The parenting seems to be measured in how loud they can yell and scream at the kid. The louder and more offensive, the better. Whatever happened to dignity people?

Another item that wasn't covered are the people who are on the cell phone the whole time they are in the store. From the time they set foot in that door until the time they leave, whether it be shopping for food, roaming the aisles or checking out (which really sucks), they are on that phone come hell or high water. Excuse me? You want me to pay for this shit I brought up here right now? How dare you interrupt my phone conversation. I was telling my baby daddy about that bitch in aisle 3!

Here's a side note observation: I'm not going to say ALL of the people because that would not be accurate but MOST of the people are paying with an EBT card (food stamps) yet they have the most expensive phone, their nails are done exquisitely, they have the good wigs (real human hair probably) or weaves and the name brand clothes. I don't have money for food, but I have money for my nails and hair! Nice to see our taxes are going to good use...

I like the combo offenses as well: the screaming profane mother on the phone who forgot their PIN number. Yep, I'm going to miss that store. Good times, good times...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious...did you point out to espanol man that the number 10 in english translates to the number 10 in spanish?

Anonymous said...

UGH. SCREAMING KIDS IN ANY STORE ANNOY THE HELL OUT OF ME! THANK GOD I WAS THE PERFECT CHILD.

Anonymous said...

I really hate it when people argue over the price of something. I can see if it was a big amount but once I had the unfortunate pleasure of standing behind this Oriental woman who held up the line for a damn NICKEL! I was so mad that I pulled one out of my pocket and slammed it on the counter. She just looked at me and then the bitch took it!

Pugs said...

KATMIST! Where the hell have you been? Call or send me an email soon. Great observation by the way. I didn't think of that at the time. I can always count on you to point out the finer details..

@ Bag: I would have told her to shut up and then farted in her general direction.

@ Anon: No, I was the perfect child!

Anonymous said...

SERIOUSLY, I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE SAY THAT ABOUT THEMSELVES OR WORSE YET, THE "MY CHILD NEVER DOES THAT" LINE. IF THAT WERE TRUE, THERE WOULD BE NO CRIME IN AMERICA!

Metro said...

I enjoy following idiots who wander through the store oblivious to everything around them, talking on their cell phones:

"Uh-huh? Oh, hey--should I buy some of the cheese smokies? They're on sale today ... $5.99. Well we could buy them at the other store ..."

Dude--ever heard of a list? Please?

Anonymous said...

I hate it when people say have to announce where they are in the store. Like Yeah I'm looking at peas in the canned good aisle ro so on. Once is fine but an ongoing commentary of your adventures in the fucking store is way annoying.

Anonymous said...

I USED TO USE LISTS METRO, BUT NOW I JUST CALL MY ROOMMATE AND ASK WHAT WE NEED, HA!

Pugs said...

I won't even answer the phone in a store unless I am expecting a call. I feel retarded talking to someone in front of a bunch of people.