Monday, August 11, 2008

Opening Ceremony...

Say what you want about the Chinese and their politics but I am certain of one thing, they can put on a fucking awesome show!

That opening ceremony of the Olympics on Friday was the best one I had ever seen. What's even more amazing is the fact that most of the effects were done by hundreds of people working in unison and not machines, like the boxes that created the wave effects or the water droplets that rolled out from a central point. Totally incredible.

The costumes were intricate and attention to detail was not spared. The colors vivid and stunning. Even the hand movements of the dancers were synchronized beautifully. Every last detail thought out and executed perfectly.

It would have been so exciting and awesome to be a part of that audience that night.

7 comments:

Slave to the dogs said...

I missed it but I heard the same about it from others.

Anonymous said...

I AGREE. IT WAS SPECTACULAR! THE FOOTPRINTS AT THE BEGINNING SET THE WHOLE THING UP. I WAS AMAZED.

Metro said...

I'd agree except for a couple of things:

They faked the footprints, apparently.

(Which at least frees us from wondering what the cultural and political significance of giant footsteps treading through the sky might mean, coming from China)

They also faked the little girl singing the anthem because the real singer wasn't cute enough. Hope their medical system will cover the therapy the little girls are both gonna need.

They haven't even sold out the games, as they claim.

However, they have, in a very real sense, sold out the games.

I expect that eventually they'll field athletes who are digital animations superimposed into the races and claim all the gold medals too.

Saying what I will about their politics: They're a goddamn dictatorship, and should never have gotten permission from the civilized world to hold an event of this stature. It legitimizes their oppressive "security" measures, for a start.

And every time they say "Remember we signed a deal that said reporters could have free access to X--Well, we've decided not so much," the IOC throws up its hands and cries "How could we expect that a paranoid, hermitlike, prickly dictatorial regime would be so into restricting freedoms?"

Screw that. I'm boycotting the Olympics--I don't care who wins, and I'll skip the first twenty seconds of every newscast until it's over.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was pretty damn cool. They must have been threatened with death or worse if they messed up because that shit was perfect...

Anonymous said...

LOL. THAT WAS FUNNY SAMURAI. I CAN TOTALLY SEE THE REHERSALS NOW!

Pugs said...

As I was reading the news today I saw that all kinds of shit is coming out about the shenanigans that the Chinese are playing. Pretty shady but would you expect anything less? I think they think it would be an insult to not have the most medals and the best show while the games are in their own country.

Anonymous said...

I HEARD THEY WERE MAKING PEOPLE WEAR DIAPERS BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T GO TO THE BATHROOM. LOL. PSYCHO!