Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ah, The Good Old Days...

"Top 25 Biggest Product Flops of All Time"

This was actually a fun article to look through on WalletPop.

Ah, the good old days when they didn't give a shit what they marketed, as long as it made money. I must admit I did recognize some of these products such as "New Coke", "Crystal Pepsi" , The Edsel and DeLorean automobiles but some of this crap was just plain retarded...

For instance, the pet water that came in Crispy Beef or Tangy Fish flavors. I don't know about you, but I don't think I would want to have fish stink dropped all over the floor after my pugs bury their heads into the water bowl. Since they have that "smashed in face" look, they have to practically dip their heads into the water bowl like they are bobbing for apples when they drink. This of course allows them to drip water all over the place afterward. I guess it would also leave their face smelling fishy as well. Gross. Bad idea.

Kellogg's Breakfast mates...I remember seeing this commercial on TV a few times and I always thought that it was fucking gross. As the article indicates, the thought of warm milk was too much for me to handle. Especially milk that was already in the bowl with the cereal. Was it mushy? I had no idea. Anything that was in a liquid and stayed crunchy was not appealing and I cringed at the thought of what it would do to my stomach. Or my asshole for that matter as I would eventually have to evacuate it. Oh Lord, TMI...

Earring Magic Ken. He does look WAY gay but I think it would actually sell these days. It looks a lot like . Besides any self respecting fashionista needs a queen to tell her what not and what to wear...

Touch of Yogurt Shampoo. Sounds totally nasty. It even looks nasty. It seems like they will try anything to see if it sells. Remember Body on Tap Shampoo (thanks to Twitchery on Flickr)? That shampoo with the beer in it? Hey, that actually was good stuff. I remember my mom buying that back in the 70's...

McDonald's Arch Deluxe. I actually liked that sandwich. I always wondered where that went. And what ever happened to the McRib? Hmmm...

So, I wonder what products that are out there today are going to show up on a list like this in about 10-20 years?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GEE YOUR HAIR SMELLS TERRIFIC ANYONE?

OLD MILWAUKEE?

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! It reminds me off all the crazy shit that they used to sell back in the day like those candy cigarettes. You could puff out that cloud of powder that looked like smoke, he he he. Maybe that has led to my smoking habit? Who knew?

Pugs said...

@ Anon - my cousin used to tell a stupid joke about that shampoo! What does a midget say to you? Gee your hair smells terrific. I always thought that was a dumb one.

@ Missing - I never liked those candy cigarettes. They tasted like dried up toothpaste.

Metro said...

@Anonymous
Old Milwaukee is a decent cheap beer, now available in Soviet Canuckistan!

I miss "Popeye" brand "tasty candy cigarettes". Now all there are are "Popeye Candy Sticks".

Wonder if anyone sells liquorice pipes and cigars anymore?

Delorean was a great car and a fabulous idea--why not build the safest car possible?

Unfortunately a combination of price and the attentions of the Big Three made damn sure it got killed.

I just saw a mint condition ... '83? '85? Delorean at our local car show. I'd happily drive it today.